Understanding the view
Follow the guide below or skip to our walkthrough video.
- Click on an organisation name to go to the corresponding organisation profile page. Organisations appear listed in order of research output indexed in Inspec with the highest total number of articles at the top.
- The number of articles is also shown by Inspec classifications: A- Physics, B- Electrical engineering and electronics, C- Computers and control, E- Mechanical and production engineering.
- The coverage column indicates the breadth of coverage the articles cover under each classification e.g. If the articles cover half of the 2,265 Physics classification codes in Inspec, the coverage will be 50%. This is a good indicator of how specialised an organisation’s research output is; two organisations may publish the same number of articles within ‘Physics’ but one could be a general research organisation, whereas the other only publishes on, for example, astronomy.
- The percentage change column in the table shows the total change in article output for each organisation over the time period. This can help to identify which organisations have the fastest growing output.
- To compare output for a number of organisations, select your chosen organisations and click “update graph”. The line graph at the top will display the research output for each of your selected organisations over time. Hover over the points to display the number of articles and percentage change for each year.
- Select up to five organisations from your results and click “Compare selected organisations” to open the organisation comparison page.
Reordering your results
- Click on "Articles" to reverse the order of your results with the lowest number of articles at the top.
- Click on the one of the subject classification counts to reorder your results by that subject e.g. A- Physics.
- Click on the "% change" title at the top of the column to reorder your results by ascending or descending percentage change.
Navigating your results
- Reveal more results per page using the drop-down at the bottom of the table or jump to a row by typing a row number in the "Go to" box.
- Click through to the next page using the arrows.
Filtering your search
- Search for an organisation using the search box at the top of the table. Start typing to see suggestions or click search to see results including your search term.
- Filter the date range of your results using the "From" and "to" drop-down selections.
- To update the line graph, select your chosen organisations and click “update graph.” Hover over the points to display number of articles and percentage change for each year.
- Click "Advanced" to see advanced search options:
- Use the drop-down to select "Include" or "Exclude" search terms.
- Search with an organisation name, location or organisation type.
- Add multiple conditions. Each condition will be treated as "OR".
- Search for whole words, partial words or start typing to see suggestions and select an organisation.
- Remove conditions by clicking on the corresponding "X" or by clicking "remove all".
- Click "Apply" to see your results.